Happiness and health of a person largely depend on the health of his/her digestion. Digestive discomfort is an unpleasant experience that counters many issues. It can also put us in awkward and embarrassing situations. An unhealthy digestion can lead to troubles like bloated and growling stomach, cramps, constipation, loose stools, gastric issues, chest burn, acidity, body ache, etc., and even chronic issues like irritable bowel syndrome. But with the ancient healing practice of yoga, you can resolve the issue of digestion and have a healthy and improved digestive system.
Here are the amazing and effective yoga sequence to enhance the digestion.
- Bitilasana- Marjariasana (Cat-Cow Pose)
It is a two pose transition asana that helps you to relax the body and enhance the digestive system.
- Start with getting on the floor on your four limbs, and keep the back flat.
- Now while exhaling lift your back up and drop your head down, forming a cat position.
- Now inhale and arch your back and lift the butt and head up, forming a cow position.
- Hold the poses and keep on switching between these poses for a minute or more.
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
The pose gives massage to the abdominal organs, improves digestion, increases blood flow, and increases the production of the digestive juices.
- Sit on the floor keeping the back straight and stretch your legs outward with the toes flexed towards you.
- Now raise your hands upward over your head, stretch the arms and bend your torso forward from the hips.
- Keep the back and knees straight, and try to hold the pose for a minute.
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose)
One of the best asanas to keep the digestive issues at bay by releasing all the trapped air in the digestive tract
- Lie down on the floor on your back, and make sure that your feet are together. Put the arms beside your body.
- Now bring the knees towards the chest and press the abdomen with the thighs. Then wrap your knees with your arms for grip and balance.
- Now hold the asana for as long as you can. You can also perform this pose with one leg- at a time.
- Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclining Spinal Twist)
Another amazing asana to improve digestion, Supta Matsyendrasana soothes the abdomen and stimulates internal organs.
- Lie down on the floor on your back. Then fold your knees and bring it close to your chest.
- Wrap your hands around the knees and inhale. As you exhale put the knees on the left and with the left hand push it down.
- Now turn your head and stretch the arms outward to the right.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds, and then repeat the same on the other side.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half Spinal Twist Pose)
The asana is beneficial in a lot of ways, especially when it comes to improving digestion.
- Sit on the floor with the legs stretched out. Now bend the right knee and place it close to your body.
- Then turn towards the right and place the right arm behind yourself and keep the palm on the floor.
- Hold the pose for a minute, release, and repeat on the other side.
- Savasana (Corpse Pose)
The pose completes the yoga asana series. You have to lie on the floor on your back in a relaxing position. Close your eyes and calm your mind. Be in the pose for 15-20 minutes, but don’t sleep.
A great digestion means a healthy you. With these yoga asanas, maintain a robust digestion.